Regulations and agenda
Per the Regulations Governing the Development of NFPA Standards (Section 4.5), only Certified Amending Motions (with valid sign-in) and proper Follow-up Motions will be allowed during the NFPA Technical Meeting for standards processed in the Fall and Annual revision cycles.
The agenda for the Technical Meeting will be those standards with Certified Amending Motions as indicated in the Report of the Motions Committee on Certified Amending Motions.
Per the NFPA Bylaws, only NFPA Members of record 180 days before the opening of any Annual, Regular, Special, or Technical Meeting of the NFPA Membership who have duly registered and paid any registration fees for the meeting shall be entitled to vote at that meeting. Except as may be required by law or as may be provided in a Regulation or Standing Rule promulgated pursuant to Article 8 of these Bylaws, any action of the NFPA Voting Membership shall require the affirmative vote of a majority of the votes cast at the meeting.
Voting by proxy shall not be permitted, and the vote of each Voting NFPA Member shall be cast by that member individually.
Under NFPA rules, anyone wishing to make an allowable amending motion at an NFPA Technical Meeting must declare their intentions by filing, within the published deadline, a Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM). NITMAMs submitted on Public Comments (PC) can only be submitted by the original submitter of the PC or their duly authorized Designated Representative. NITMAMs can be made by anyone if the NITMAM is on a Committee Comment, Second Revision, Second Correlating Revision, or in the case of a new standard, a NITMAM to Return the Entire NFPA Standard.
The Motions Committee of the NFPA Standards Council, in accordance with NFPA rules, reviews each NITMAM to determine whether the intended motion is a proper motion. Proposed NFPA Standards will be presented for action at the NFPA Technical Meeting only when an Amending Motion (NITMAM) has been certified by the Motions Committee as a proper amending motion. Standards that receive no motions will not be presented at the meeting and instead will be forwarded directly to the NFPA Standards Council for action on issuance. More about the standards development process including NITMAM.
Fall 2017 revision cycle
Annual 2017 revision cycle
Additional information on NITMAMs and authorized submitters can be found in Section 4.5 of the Regulations Governing the Development of NFPA Standards.
Annual 2018 revision cycle
Fall 2016 revision cycle
- Final Results: Floor action on Certified Amending Motions on Standards from the 2017 NFPA Technical Meeting (Tech Session)
- June 2, 2017: Download the agenda for this year's NFPA Technical Meeting on June 7, 2017
- May 18, 2017 updated: The Report of the Motions Committee addresses 10 Annual 2017 Standards with Certified Amending Motions for consideration at the 2017 NFPA Technical Meeting: NFPA 1, NFPA 37, NFPA 54, NFPA 59, NFPA 99, NFPA 101, NFPA 1144, NFPA 1951, NFPA 2112, NFPA 5000; a list of NITMAMs that were not certified or were withdrawn; and identifies the list of Consent Standards.
- February 20, 2017: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on Standards in the Annual 2017 revision cycle.
- May 17, 2017: Please note that the Motions Committee has approved a request by submitter to withdraw the previously certified amending motions on NFPA 10. Therefore, no motions on NFPA 10 will be pursued at the 2017 NFPA Technical Meeting.
- October 3, 2016: The Report of the Motions Committee addresses three Fall 2016 Standards with Certified Amending Motions for consideration at the 2017 NFPA Technical Meeting: NFPA 285, NFPA 730, and NFPA 1403; and identifies the list of Consent Standards.
- August 22, 2016: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on Standards in the Fall 2016 revision cycle.
Instructions for submitting a NITMAM
- NFPA accepts NITMAMs via our online submission system. To use the online submission system:
- Choose a document from the List of NFPA codes & standards or use the search feature.
- Once you are on the document page, select the "Next edition" tab and choose the link "Second Draft Report".
- You will be asked to sign-in or create a free online account with NFPA before using this system.
- Once on the Second Draft Report page, follow the online instructions to submit your NITMAM.
Previous Motions Committee Reports, Transcripts, and Final Results